Hamedan Township being in the vicinity of the Alvand mountains has a cold, mountainous climate, with snowy winters and short mild summers. The city of Hamedan is the center of the province and is at a distance of 337 km. from Tehran. The structures of city is related to 'Diya Aku' one of the monarchs of the Medes, about (700 BC.). According to the records of a reputed Greek historian, this territory was called 'Ekbatan' and 'Hegmataneh' by this monarch.
Thus being transformed into a huge capital, which was later repaired by Darius the Great. During the Parthian era, Teesfoon was the capital of the country, and Hamedan the summer capital and residence of the Parthian rulers. After the Parthians, the Sassanids constructed their summer palaces in Hamedan. In the year 23 AB. when the war of Nahavand took place and Hamedan came into the hands of the Arabs, at times it thrived and at times witnessed poverty. In the times of the Deylamites (319 AB.), it suffered plenty of damages. In the 6th century AB., the Seleucidians shifted their capital from Baqdad to Hamedan. The city of Hamedan which was always assaulted by the rise and fall of powers, was completely destroyed during the Teimooride invasion.
During the Safavid era the city thrived. Thereafter, in the year 1138 AB., Hamedan surrendered to the Ottomans, but due to the courage and chivalry of Nader Shah Afshar, Hamedan was cleared off the invaders and according to the peace treaty between Iran and the Ottomans, it was returned to Iran. The city of Hamedan lay on the' Silk Road' and even in the last centuries enjoyed good prospects in commerce and trade being on the main road network in the western region of the country.